The House of Hope for Alcoholics, Inc. evolved out of the interest of George Conner, a service station owner on North Park Street. He permitted alcoholic men to sleep in his station and would encourage them to get sober. When one of his customers, a physician from White Cross Hospital, approached him about the old “Sells” mansion at the intersection of Buttles and Dennison Avenues as a potential business location, he saw that it would be ideal for a Halfway House.
The House of Hope for Alcoholics, Inc. is now located at 825 Dennison Avenue. Incorporated in 1959 In April 1959, members of the Columbus Area Council on Alcoholism, founded in 1958, met to discuss ways and means for establishing a rehabilitation center for alcoholics. From this meeting emerged an organization, which has developed a program that has been in operation since November 18, 1959. The Secretary of State chartered the House of Hope for Alcoholics, Inc. as a non-profit corporation on May 25, 1959.
Outpatient Services In August 1996 the House of Hope Outpatient facility was established to provide treatment services for chemically dependent males and females. In 2012 we purchased and refurbished the current building located at 1034 Harrisburg Pike. Tom Ramseyer Our House at 825 Dennison is now dedicated as the Thomas Ramseyer House in memory of our former executive director. He led our agency from 1983 to 2007.